Are Crayola Crayons And Markers Toxic? Explained

Crayola Crayons and Markers

Crayola is a brand well-known for its wide range of art supplies. It has been in the market for over a century! Crayola crayons and markers are a childhood favorite.

As babies and kids can sometimes put crayons and markers in their mouths if left unsupervised, you may wonder if Crayola markers and crayons are safe for your little ones.

So here is the short answer: Yes, Crayola crayons are non-toxic if used as a toy product. However, if swallowed like a food item, they can be toxic as a few of the crayons possibly contain lead. The crayons are completely safe for older kids who are not likely to put them in their mouth and chew up like actual food!

As far as the Crayola markers are concerned, an independent group of toxicologists has given them a green signal.

The markers are completely non-toxic for your baby or child if only licked or ingested in a small amount.

However, do keep in mind that consuming a lot of the ink of the markers can cause allergic reactions.

What are Crayola crayons made of?

A crayon is a stick of pigmented wax.

The primary ingredient in most of the Crayola crayons is paraffin wax along with color pigments.

But, some of the specialty crayons of Crayola contain additional ingredients which have not been disclosed by the company.

ALSO READ: Are Cra-Z markers as good as Crayola?

What are Crayola markers made of?

Crayola markers are mainly made up of water and dye. Apart from the colored water solution, Crayola markers also contain a porous plastic nib, a plastic barrel, a cotton filament, and a plastic cap.

A group of toxicologists has proved that Crayola markers do not contain any toxic chemicals. Even if there are certain chemicals, they are in such minute quantities that they would not affect a human being or animal.

What happens if you eat Crayola crayons?

Crayola assures on their website that ingesting its crayons would not cause any harm. However, if your child or your pet ends up chewing and eating Crayola crayons, it can be harmful as it would lead to an increase in the overall toxic burden and could potentially contaminate the body.

Toxic burden or toxic overload is the concept that although a substance will not cause damage on its own, all of the materials around us every day can add up and lead to a negative impact on our health.

Also, while Crayola crayons contain very low amounts of lead for a toy product, the lead in the crayon makes it dangerous if ingested like a food product. This can potentially contaminate the body.

If your toddler or kid ends up eating a lot of Crayola crayons, he can also start choking. The signs include coughing and troubled breathing.

What happens if you eat Crayola markers?

As Crayola markers are completely non-toxic, nothing will happen immediately if your little one licks a little bit of the marker ink.

However, if a child consumes the ink in large quantities, it can set off an allergic reaction in their body. They might end up having bad stomach cramps. You need to consult a doctor if this happens.

Also, if your child puts the marker or its plastic cap in his mouth, he might end up choking. So, you need to watch out for that!

Are Crayola crayons and markers toxic for babies?

Crayola crayons contain paraffin wax. Paraffin is derived from petroleum, which can be toxic if consumed. Also, crayons can be harmful because of possible lead contamination. So, while it is safe for your babies to play and draw with the crayons, it is unsafe for them to ingest them.

Crayola markers do not contain any known chemical substances that are toxic to babies. It has been extensively tested to ensure that no harm happens if a baby mistakenly consumes a bit of the marker ink.

ALSO READ: Can you use any Crayola on Scribble Scrubbies?

Are Crayola crayons and markers toxic to dogs?

Yes! Keep your dogs away from Crayola crayons and markers as they are toxic if consumed.

Crayola crayons can upset your dog’s stomach, leading to drooling, vomiting, stomach pain, and diarrhea. If large amounts of crayon are ingested by your dog, it can also cause blockages in their esophagus, intestines, or stomach. You might need to take them to a vet and might also need to surgically remove the blockage.

In the case of the Crayola markers, the biggest problem would be the plastic items. They can get lodged in the throat of your dog and create an obstruction with breathing.

Are Crayola markers toxic to cats?

Yes. Crayola markers can harm your cats. Cats can choke on the plastic caps or tubes of the markers.

It is best to keep your cat at a safe distance from the Crayola markers. The plastic lid can get stuck in the digestive tract of the cat if ingested.

Consuming plastic can cause long-term damage to your cat since it contains a wide range of toxic substances like phthalates, dioxin, and others.

Are Crayola markers toxic on the skin?

As Crayola markers do not contain any toxic, harmful substances; it is safe to use on the skin. You will not get ink poisoning if you use Crayola markers to draw and color on your skin. However, if you or your child has certain skin sensitivities, it might be best to not use the markers on your skin.

Are Crayola markers safe to eat?

Well, Crayola markers are not exactly edible substances. So, it is not safe to eat in large quantities. It can cause allergic reactions. However, if your toddler, your child, or your pet dog or cat accidentally ingests a little amount of the marker ink; you do not need to panic!



ALSO READ: What do you do with Breyer horses?

Anand Srinivasan
Latest posts by Anand Srinivasan (see all)