Fenty Beauty Skin Products have added fragrances. But the U.S. FDA does not require cosmetic fragrance components to be publicly divulged. Fenty Skin’s fragrance is a proprietary blend that is legally private. There are also some added ingredients that perform specific functions, but also impart a pleasant aroma. These are masking scents, which help to reduce the chemical or offensive smells from other components.
Since the fragrance function is secondary, they do not come within the definition of added fragrance.
Here is a list of Fenty Skin products with fragrance:
- Butta Drop Shimmering Whipped Oil Body Cream with Tropical Oils + Shea Butter
- Fat Water Hydrating Milky Toner Essence with Hyaluronic Acid + Tamarind
- Buff Ryder Exfoliating Body Scrub with Superfine Sand + Fruit Enzymes
- Flash Nap Instant Revival Priming Eye Gel-Cream with Green Tea + Persian Silk Tree
- Fenty Icon The Fill Semi-Matte Refillable Lipstick
- Pre-Show Glow Instant Retexturizing 10% Aha Treatment Refill
- Hydra Vizor Mini Invisible Moisturizer Broad Spectrum SPF 30 Sunscreen With Niacinamide + Kalahari Melon
- Cocoa Cleans’r All-Over Cleansing Bar
- Renew N’ Recover Face + Eye Hydration Essentials
- Hydra’reset Intensive Recovery Glycerin Hand Mask
What ingredients make up the fragrance?
Some Fenty Skin masking scents include:
- Hexyl Cinnamal/Cinnamal
This derivative of chamomile oil is used as a perfume additive.
This terpene is added primarily as a solvent. It provides either an orange or lemon scent.
This compound has antifungal and antimicrobial properties. It also imparts a floral, citrusy scent.
This fragrance additive makes all products smell sweet and fruity. It is reminiscent of lilies and melons, very light and airy.
- Benzyl Salicylate
This compound is a stabilizer. It keeps the cosmetics ingredients from separating. It also has a faint, warm balsamic aroma which is sweet and soothing.
- Papaya, Pineapple, and Pomegranate enzymes
These enzyme extracts from fruit are used to exfoliate, purify and remove excess oil. They mattify and remove blemishes and bacteria to give you soft, healthy skin. Obviously, they lend the products a fruity, juicy scent.
This masking ingredient gives the product a toasty, caramel aroma.
- Jojoba seed oil
This oil is great for people with acne, psoriasis, and eczema. It hydrates chapped lips and flaky skin. It either has a nutty scent or is odorless depending on whether it is refined or unrefined respectively.
- Cacao, Mango Seed, and Shea Butter
These luscious butter are moisturizers par excellence. They have faint smells redolent of chocolate or nuts. They give the products a tropical, balmy feel.
- Acerola (Barbados Cherry extract)
This little berry gives off a fruity, tart aroma. It boosts Vitamin C and proteins, is an astringent, improves skin elasticity and reduces inflammation.
Side Effects of Fragrance
We don’t know what is inside Fenty Skin’s product composition. But fragrances in cosmetics generally have a common set of side -effects since they use most similar base compounds.
Ocular irritation, Watering, and Redness
Some fragrance ingredients can irritate the cornea which is very sensitive. This may cause itching, redness, and watery eyes.
Nasal irritation and Breathing Difficulty
Fragrances can irritate the mucous lining of your nose, causing sneezing, difficulty breathing, and coughing. Hyperosmia may result from even light fragrances and cause nausea.
Fragrances and their components can be skin-sensitizing. They can cause anything from rashes to hives and red patches. It may be an allergic reaction to a particular ingredient.
Other secondary fragrance ingredients like chamomile, coumarin, and hydroxycitronellal may also cause reactions.
Major health risks
The fragrances used in Fenty Skin are unlikely to cause any serious health problems. They are phthalate and paraben-free, so there is no risk of organ damage, respiratory distress, asthma, or neurological disturbance.
The other fragrance components are evaluated as benign and safe currently.
Check with your dermatologist for any allergies to certain synthetic or natural ingredients.
Are there Fragrance-free Fenty Skin alternatives?
Fenty Skin does offer fragrance-free alternatives. These include :
- Hydra Vizor Fragrance-Free Invisible Moisturizer Broad Spectrum Spf 30 Sunscreen With Niacinamide + Kalahari Melon
- Fat Water Fragrance-Free Niacinamide Pore-Refining Toner Serum With Barbados Cherry
- Cookies N Clean Whipped Clay Pore Detox Face Mask With Salicylic Acid + Charcoal
- Total Cleans’r Fragrance-Free Makeup-Removing Cleanser with Barbados Cherry
While there are no added fragrances, there are extracts that give off scents. For example, watermelon seed and baobab extract, Australian lemon myrtle, and Japanese raisin have mild floral, pear-like, and woody scents.
These are not for fragrance- they reduce dark spots, tighten pores and infuse vitamins.
Likewise cherry seed oil, rhubarb and ginger extract, and quince have varying levels of zesty, pungent, and fresh scents. These also control sebum and replenish essential minerals in the skin.
Some ingredients like Kalahari melon, Green, and Rooibos teas are odorless but are great skin enhancers.
- Does Glossier Skincare Have Fragrance? - October 21, 2022
- Is Aveeno Color-Safe? - October 20, 2022
- Is Acure Color-Safe? - October 20, 2022